06 Jul Work for Dundee City Pipe Band
Post of Development Officer, Dundee City Pipe Band
21 hours per week
£28,000 pro rata based on a 35 hour week (actual salary £16,800)
Dundee City Pipe Band and Youth Music Initiative is a social enterprise which involves a diverse group of people in making Scottish traditional music.
We are “inclusive” in the sense that our members range widely in age, ability and disability, and this makes us unique in the piping world.
Our traditional pipe & drums have developed to the point where we can perform confidently in public, accept paying engagements and offer our services to schools. We have not yet developed our Youth Music Initiative, which would combine traditional and modern ways of making music, including the use of electronic instruments and digital audio workstations.
The Adapt & Thrive Fund has made it possible for us to employ a Development Officer whose role is to help us increase our income and sustain the business into the future through fundraising, grant applications and social enterprise activities. This is a one year contract which may be extended if funds allow.
This post will be home based but the postholder will be required to attend meetings, rehearsals and performances as necessary.
The Development Officer will assist the Committee to
- recruit new members
- find opportunities for paying performances of different types
- raise funds through social events and appeals
- maintain and increase our profile on social and other media
- develop our website
- attract funding from grant making trusts, local authorities and other funders
- develop a plan and a sustainable business model for the Youth Music Initiative
- strengthen links with the Royal Scottish Pipe Band Association, the Scottish Schools Pipes and Drums Trust and other pipe bands
- network with other organisations including Dundee Health & Social Care Partnership and Dundee City Council Children & Families
- form partnerships with other organisations
- take opportunities to provide paid tuition through the Dundee Schools framework
- organise travel and accommodation where required
- provide support at band performances
- identify training needs and organise training programmes as required
- develop knowledge and expertise in compliance with OSCR rules and other regulation
- support the Treasurer in developing financial management systems
- look for opportunities to generate income through low risk commercial activity
- Support the Chair and Secretary in the efficient administration of Committee Meetings and records.
This postholder will be a champion of equality and diversity and will be required to take training to stay up to date with best practice.
As the job develops there may be work with vulnerable people. We will require a Disclosure Scotland check before making an appointment.
The Development Officer will report initially to the Chair of the Committee. Regular contacts will be the Trustees and members of the band, the Volunteer Support and Welfare Officer and also the staff of grant making trusts and other funders.
|Efficient organiser||Community work qualification|
|Friendly and helpful||Business experience/qualification|
|Big picture thinking||Website management|
|Strong communicator||Experience of working with people with disabilities|
|Capable of using, or learning to use Google G Suite||Knowledge of the pipe band world|
|Social Media skills||Understanding of OSCR rules|
|Negotiation skills||Ability to write Committee Reports|
|Excellent writing skills||Experience of writing funding applications and business plans|
|Volunteering experience/experience of the voluntary sector|
|Tact and diplomacy|
|Ability to manage own workload|
|Imagination and enthusiasm|
How to Apply
Please download an application form … you can use the Word version or the pdf version. You must complete this form. You are also welcome to send in a curriculum vitae (CV), but you must still complete the application form.
Forms should be returned to email@example.com by 9 am on Monday 26 July 2021.